We have all heard that Turmeric (Curcumin) is great for your health! It is one of the well-know “healing” spices – “The Spice of Life” – that not only is wonderful for you, but will give you that pick me up that you need to get through your day.
Below is a list of the many benefits of Turmeric and because I believe that any argument should have research associated with it, I have included references as well.
Health Benefits Turmeric
- Treatment of Mastitis in Breastfeeding Women: Afshariani and Associates (2014) performed a study on 63 breastfeeding women with lactational mastitis and demonstrated that topical preparation of Turmeric successfully decreased the symptoms of pain and swelling within 72 hours of administration without any side effects. I wish I knew that when I had my first mastitis!
- Bacterial Infection: Due to its antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties, Turmeric prevents bacterial infection in wounds (Pari, Tewas & Eckel, 2008).
- Chronic Diseases: “Turmeric alleviates oxidative stress, inflammation in chronic diseases and regulates inflammatory and pro-inflammatory pathways related with most chronic diseases” (Yan et al., 2015, p. 9187).
- Digestive Disorders: Turmeric induces the flow of bile, which breaks down fats, thus inhibits gastric secretion and protects against injuries caused by medications such as indomethacin (NSAID) (Pari, Tewas & Eckel, 2008).
- Neurodegenerative Diseases: Research has shown that Turmeric will lead to a promising treatment for Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s diseases due to its antioxidant properties (Mishra et al., 2008).
- Cardiovascular Diseases: Turmeric protects “against inflammation, cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis” (Mishra et al., 2008, p. 9190).
- Allergy, Asthma, Bronchitis: Turmeric helps clear constricted airways and increase antioxidant levels (Mishra et al., 2008).
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Since Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory agent, it relieves the aches and pains associated with arthritis (Pari, Tewas & Eckel, 2008). We could all use some of that!
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD): CKD is an inflammatory disease, often caused by high blood pressure and diabetes. Currently, there is no definite treatment to improve CKD; however, research shows that Turmeric alleviates the disease process (Mishra et al., 2008).
- Obesity: Obesity is a huge problem in this country! Being a pro-inflammatory disease, it puts Americans at higher risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes (Type 2) and other chronic illnesses.
- Diabetes (Type 2): Did you know 29 million people Americans (9.3%) have diabetes? In 2012, 1.7 million people aged 20 years and older were diagnosed with diabetes! If you are interested in more statistics, here is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website: https://www.cdc.gov/features/diabetesfactsheet/ These numbers are alarming and we ought to educate the people around us of the damages they are causing to their own bodies! Along with a low-glycemic index diet, drinking Turmeric can help! Turmeric prevents and ameliorates diabetes (Mishra et al., 2008) and may even reverse diabetes type 1 and 2.
- Skin Diseases: Turmeric decreases the symptoms of skin diseases, such as Scleroderma and Psoriasis (Pari, Tewas & Eckel, 2008).
- Cancer: Turmeric has clinical therapeutic and prevention potential for cancer patients in studies for colorectal, liver, pancreatic, lung, breast, uterine, ovarian, prostate, bladder, kidney, renal, brain, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and Leukemia cancers (Shehzad et al., 2013).
Check out my easy recipe for Turmeric paste for Golden Milk! One cup a night may keep the doctor away!
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This information provided is based on research articles. Make sure to consult your physician before starting any new medical regimen.